- Psychological Thrillers
- Short Stories
- Biographies / Life Stories
- Non-fiction (real and researched, verifiable facts or information, no opinion-based NF)
To be accepted for editing services, I require a three to five page sample of the work in progress. Message me on Facebook and I’ll take the sample as soon as we are face to face if I am available for a new job. I will need three days to read it. If it is ready for further review, I will contact you and arrange for a larger sample. After an initial read-through and a final determination that your work is ready for a professional edit, we will negotiate terms and desired turn around time. For a novel, expect up to three months.
To aid your writing process and avoid extra costs for problems:
- Read many more words than you write.
- Know your basics – spelling, grammar, verb tenses, clean phrasing…
- Avoid overuse of adverbs. Describe details to evoke feeling.
- Avoid passive voice (use as support only). Avoid PVDA (Talk to me about this!)
- Do two drafts, minimum. Read each as if you don’t know it. Strike at both with a critical eye.
- Read books on the craft. It is a craft which must be learned. It is also an art form we may celebrate.
- Don’t hurry through your second draft.
- If you ask friends to read your work, expect praise or criticism. They are not objective. Your editor is.
- Again: Read many more words than you write.
When I return your work to you, we will discuss it. All final decisions will belong to the author.
- My goal as an editor is to help you craft your very best work.
- My other goal is to help you be a better writer.
Rates: Services and rates vary by piece.
- $3.00 / page or per 350 words for Novel length. (69,000+)
- 3000 words or below: $45.00 flat rate.
- 3001-7500 words: $55.00 flat rate.
- 7501 – 24,999 words: $35 per 3000 words – $75.00 base fee.
- Novellas / Novelettes: $3.25 per page or per 350 words. (25,000 – 69,000)
All editing services include a thorough proofread, as well as a complete review for (as applicable):
- Point of View
- Character Development
- Spelling, Grammar, Word Use
- Phrasing & Voice
- Time-line (continuity)
- Story Flow
If you are seeking editing services, contact me:
On Facebook: Message me at: https://www.facebook.com/david.cleinman
Or you may e-mail me at (just click): About Your Editing Services
Why work with me? Because I want to work with you if you are willing to improve and have basic, sound skills. I am objective and not even remotely interested in comparing works. Each tale is unique and I work with the author to make theirs better. My editing services are based on open communication between the author and myself.